Skip to main content

Etiquette for Adults



Having manners is a lost art. As children most of us were taught manners but somehow they were forgot somewhere before adulthood. Our society has an epidemic of poorly mannered adults. 
Case in point, last week I was carrying Jameson and holding Jackson's hand as I was walking into the insurance company to pay my bill. Before I could get to the door a gentleman went in before I did and slammed the door in my face. So I had to sit Jameson down on the ground, open the door myself, pick Jameson back up and go in. The whole time, the man was watching me struggle. I don't expect people to constantly open doors for me but if you see someone struggling to get around, it would be considerate to wait an open the door. Maybe we should all be handed a book of manner's upon reaching adulthood. First rules being Hold the doors open for others and don't stare.

Here are some other basic rules of etiquette we all should practice.

Put your phone down while in the presence of company. In today's modern world, everyone over the age of 13 has a smartphone. Sure it is easy to ignore a kid sitting around constantly texting or tweeting but an adult, this is unacceptable. I have had friends and family over before and the whole time, they couldn't put their phone down. It makes me wonder, if whatever you are doing is more important than my company, you shouldn't have came. If you are one of these people, turn your phone on silent or stay at home. No one wants to watch you text during a dinner party.

Don't forget the magic words. When I was a child, i'll never forget the time my great-grandmother gave me a tin can full of used Kleenex. To her defense, she was 94. I remember accepting the box and saying thank you. When my grandfather and I left he said "You did the right thing, no matter what someone gives you always say thank you. Whether you like it or not". Always say Please and Thank You. And parents, please start teaching your children the magic words. Thank you.

Don't cut line. Don't jump in line is something grade school kids know but adults have somehow forgotten. There is nothing more rude than to get in front of someone. No one is in that big of a hurry.

Don't borrow sugar from your neighbors. I have this neighbor who started borrowing small things from me like eggs, cinnamon and coffee. Which I didn't mind loaning her, she's a single mom with 2 kids to raise alone so I sympathized with her. Then it progressed to garbage bags, light bulbs,my vacuum cleaner,my clothes and money(no, no, no, no). And it wasn't just an occasional thing it was 2 to 3 times a day. I don't mind loaning things or giving things to others. After all, it's good to help out your fellow man kind but don't let people take advantage of your kindness. And if you are the one borrowing, stop. You just look like a bum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Pinterest Inspired Summer Hairstyles

Every time I need a little inspiration, I get on Pinterest. I love these hot weather hairstyles that I recently discovered while pinning. I hardly ever wear my hair down in the summer, my hair is really long, thick and black so you can imagine how hot it is. So i'm always looking to try new hairstyles to sport in the summer months, these are my favorite pins for summer hair. Click on photo's for links to original website. Check out my pinterest boards and follow me here What are your favorite Pinterest inspired looks? Do you look at Pinterest for hair, makeup or fashion looks?

Bare Minerals Beauty and the Beach Review

Last week I cashed in my beauty points on Sephora.com for this lovely sample set by bare minerals. The set is called Beauty and the Beach and it includes 5 pieces for a summer look. The set included marvelous moxie lip gloss in party starter, ready bronzer in the skinny dip, bare minerals ready blush in the natural high, all over face color in pure radiance and a sample of their lash domination mascara . So here is my take on the set: Here it is ladies! Marvelous Moxie lipgloss in Party Starter- this is a darker, coral and peach color. It was very sticky but it lasted for a few hours. It matched the blush perfectly. Ready Blush in The Natural High : This blush is a nice peachy pink color, it looks really shimmery in the package but looks more matte when applied. I loved that the color matched the gloss! Ready Bronzer in The Skinny Dip- I used this to contour and sculpt my face and it turned out beautiful. It matched my skin tone very nicely. Its very similar to t

Best Fragrances of 2017

I am such a Perfume junkie. I change fragrances with clothes, moods, seasons and events. I've always felt like Perfume is a luxury that women should spoil their selves with. I love giving perfumes to my friends, family, co-workers, neighbors(you get the picture). And my favorite gift is always perfume(hint-hint)! Every department store visit, I head to the fragrance counter before I check out anything else to see what's new(Yes fragrance  girl, you can give me a spritz).  Ok, now that  you get the idea of how deep my relationship with perfume is.  2017 has been a great year for the fragrance industry. I thought long and hard and I really can't remember trying a scent that I didn't like. From new releases from beloved favorite brands, Gucci Bloom, Victor & Rolf Magic, Tom Ford Oud Minerale to new fragrences from Diptyque Eau des Sens, Jo Malone London Jade Leaf Tea Cologne, and Atelier Cologne CafĂ© Tuberosa.  It was a struggle to find my top 5 favorite scent