Skip to main content

Favorite books of 2016


My idea of a perfect Saturday would be spent at home wrapped up in a good book.
My love of books is nothing new, growing up as an only child I had to entertain myself and since I came from a family of readers there's no surprise how easy my love of books began. 
Books allows the reader to travel to places you have never been to. You can vicariously experience situations that you may either only dream of (or loathe). But however which way, Iyou would still gain invaluable insights.
Reading also enhances your brain, is a great counseling aid and tool for personal growth, not to mention a wonderful boredom buster. 
Ok, enough with my personal reasons for reading. I read so many books last year from the Kindle store and on hard copy that I compiled a list of my favorite books, you know the ones that's impossible to put down.

Once I started this book, I could not put it down until I finished. It's one of those haunting stories where the characters stay with you for days after you finished.

Near an isolated mansion lies a beautiful garden.
In this garden grow luscious flowers, shady trees…and a collection of precious “butterflies”—young women who have been kidnapped and intricately tattooed to resemble their namesakes. Overseeing it all is the Gardener, a brutal, twisted man obsessed with capturing and preserving his lovely specimens.
This book is not for the faint of heart, there were several parts that made me a bit squeamish but overall it was beautifully written. The writer had so many plot twists and turns that kept me hooked and (spoiler alert) had a very satisfying ending.


If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a big fan of mystery/thriller books.
Joe talbert is a 21-year-old college student tasked with writing a biographical piece on an elderly individual for his writing class. having no family members fitting the bill, he goes to a nursing home to find a willing participant. the only resident with enough cognitive capacity to take part is carl iverson, a vietnam vet and convicted rapist/murderer released from jail on medical parole after thirty years; he is dying of pancreatic cancer and has been sent to the nursing home to live out his remaining months. 
Iverson agrees to be interviewed as long as joe agrees to complete transparency in all of their dealings.
Although the book has a very familiar plot, it's definitely worth reading. All of the characters are very complicated and complex but really mesh well into the story. There are so many twists that by the end of the book it has shaped into a totally different story. 


I am a huge Gillian Flynn fan! I have read everything she's wrote at least twice. The Grown-up is not necessarily a novel but a short story. It's definitely a good read and would recommend to anyone who appreciates dark humor. 
The narrator is a born and raised scam artist. Her con seems like the perfect mark--rich, desperate, and terrified of the evil she says lives in her house. Staying true to Flynn's style, she takes the story on a psychological thrill ride that leaves you replaying every moment on repeat in your thoughts.

4. 
The Warrior Goddess Way by HeatherAsh Amera

A great follow-up to the original Warrior Goddess training book. This book explains 3 pillars to include in your warrior goddess journey,
Wisdom, authenticity and yes.
Do not read this book unless you have read the warrior goddess training and workbook! Trust me, it will change your life! I love all 3 books and had so many personal revolutions while on my own journey. I truly believe that every woman should read all of HeatherAsh Amera's books.

5. The Girls by Emma Cline

At first I was totally put off by the concept of this book- the girls in the Manson cult?
Then as the book gained more notetriery I was intrigued.
The story focuses on how the girls grew up and what lead them into the cult instead of life with Manson. The book exceeded my expectations and gave an interesting perspective of life in the 60's.

6. The Nest by Cynthia d'Apprix Sweeney

This is probably my favorite book of the year. I loved the trendy high-end New York side and the dysfunctional family side that we can all relate to. 
The story is about 4 siblings who are waiting for the youngest sibbling to turn 40 so they will receive an inheritance (the best). The ups and downs they go through and the humerous battles and clash in personalities made the story hard to put down. 
Everyone that I know that's read this book, has nothing but good things to say about it!

So that's my list of favorite books that I read in 2016. I'm eager to hear from you guys. 
What books would you recommend?
What's on your reading list?
Have you read any of these books?
Until next time, I'll see you in the Kindle store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Pinterest Inspired Summer Hairstyles

Every time I need a little inspiration, I get on Pinterest. I love these hot weather hairstyles that I recently discovered while pinning. I hardly ever wear my hair down in the summer, my hair is really long, thick and black so you can imagine how hot it is. So i'm always looking to try new hairstyles to sport in the summer months, these are my favorite pins for summer hair. Click on photo's for links to original website. Check out my pinterest boards and follow me here What are your favorite Pinterest inspired looks? Do you look at Pinterest for hair, makeup or fashion looks?

Bare Minerals Beauty and the Beach Review

Last week I cashed in my beauty points on Sephora.com for this lovely sample set by bare minerals. The set is called Beauty and the Beach and it includes 5 pieces for a summer look. The set included marvelous moxie lip gloss in party starter, ready bronzer in the skinny dip, bare minerals ready blush in the natural high, all over face color in pure radiance and a sample of their lash domination mascara . So here is my take on the set: Here it is ladies! Marvelous Moxie lipgloss in Party Starter- this is a darker, coral and peach color. It was very sticky but it lasted for a few hours. It matched the blush perfectly. Ready Blush in The Natural High : This blush is a nice peachy pink color, it looks really shimmery in the package but looks more matte when applied. I loved that the color matched the gloss! Ready Bronzer in The Skinny Dip- I used this to contour and sculpt my face and it turned out beautiful. It matched my skin tone very nicely. Its very similar to t

Best Fragrances of 2017

I am such a Perfume junkie. I change fragrances with clothes, moods, seasons and events. I've always felt like Perfume is a luxury that women should spoil their selves with. I love giving perfumes to my friends, family, co-workers, neighbors(you get the picture). And my favorite gift is always perfume(hint-hint)! Every department store visit, I head to the fragrance counter before I check out anything else to see what's new(Yes fragrance  girl, you can give me a spritz).  Ok, now that  you get the idea of how deep my relationship with perfume is.  2017 has been a great year for the fragrance industry. I thought long and hard and I really can't remember trying a scent that I didn't like. From new releases from beloved favorite brands, Gucci Bloom, Victor & Rolf Magic, Tom Ford Oud Minerale to new fragrences from Diptyque Eau des Sens, Jo Malone London Jade Leaf Tea Cologne, and Atelier Cologne CafĂ© Tuberosa.  It was a struggle to find my top 5 favorite scent